How long do essential oils last?
Making essential oils last longer is something that every essential oil lover eventually has to think about. We all have our favourite oils that get used up faster than others. Most oils we use on a daily basis, but some are not used as often. If you are unsure, we would love to help give you a few tips on the life of your oils.
Did you know that the labels on all of our Pomona Pure essential oils and synergy blends are all UV resistant! Yes, we went that extra step. So that means you get double the protection with our amber bottles and labels that are UV resistant. You can now prolong the life of your oils to make it past the recommended expiry date.
Products need to have recommended expiry dates, with some lasting longer than others. For example, organic products expiry dates are often sooner, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to go by that if you take care with the oils.
Purchasing Pomona Pure oils in our amber bottles that are UV resistant and with our UV resistant labels is an amazing combo to ensure your oils will last longer. Also store your oils in a dark place, such as a cupboard away from heat.
We have the perfect size bottles at great competitive prices, with no membership fee, so that you don't have too much a one time.
Here is a general rule for the shelf life of different essential oil categories:
- Monoterpenes or oxides - these oils oxidize easily and have a shorter shelf life of 1-2 years. Examples include lemon, orange, lime, tea tree and Frankincense.
- Phenols - these oils have a shelf life of 3 years. Examples include oregano, juniper berry, bergamot and basil.
- Ketones, Monoterpenols and Esters - these oils have a shelf life of 4-5 years. Examples include lavender, clary sage, peppermint, ylang ylang and chamomile.
- Sesquiterpenes and Sesquiterpenols - these oils have a shelf life of 7 years. Examples include cedarwood, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli, Copaiba and myrrh.
Here are some tips to help prolong the life of your essential oils:
- Never leave your essential oils open or loosely covered because oxygen molecules from the air can get inside and react to cause oxidation.
- Always keep your oils tightly closed when not in use.
- Keep away from direct sunlight to avoid light degredation (our UV resistant labels and amber bottles help prolong the life)
- Store away from heat, such as a cool dark cupboard.
- If not using essential oils for a long time, such as a few months or can't take them all with you on a long vacation, store in the refrigerator.
- Do not freeze essential oils.
If you feel like your oil might be near the end of its life, a great way to use it up, is to use as a cleaning spray. It will still be just as effective in cleaning floors or counter tops.
A change in smell or colour may indicate your oil is coming to the end of its life.
So use up your Pomona Pure oils! Enjoy the benefits. Diffuse for relaxation, if you need help falling asleep, to help with germs around the house. Use them in roller bottles or spray bottles. Use everyday on your diffuser jewellery. Clean with your oils. Whatever it may be that you love.